Friday, March 25, 2005

Coffin Dodger Takes Flight

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend on the internet.
He's a pretty decent photographer and had sent me some pictures.
One of the pictures was of this really scenic region in Germany.
In the picture my friend is standing on a pretty thin path of rocks. I can't see too far below where he is, but it looks mountainous, like if he ventured too far to one side there would be one hell of a drop.
I got to thinking about traveling and backpacking and exploring parts of the world I had not yet seen.
I pictured myself there. Skin in gooseflesh as this ethereal feeling surrounds me.
I had it in the back of my head for most of the day.
So when I went to bed that night I was not surprised to have a dream that incorporated huge cliffs and a very aesthetically appealing area.
I dreamt that I was walking on this grassy field. Lush grass too, like the green grass that one only finds in dreams, or possibly in parts of the world I have not yet made it to.
I was with some friends. It was sunny. Warm.
There were a fair amount of other people doing the same hike.
Off to the left of me was a massive drop. It wasn't even rocky, the field just sort of ended and led out to nothing. It looked like the ends of the earth, but somehow I knew there was land down there. I thank my first geography course for that.
I was walking. An excited feeling had a hold of me, and the warm sun on my face was a welcomed escape from the reality of this Canadian winter.
Then, screaming.
Loud panicked screams.
I was jarred right out of my good buzz and spun around to see an old woman in a pink jumpsuit sprinting across the field.
Her aged husband was close on her heels, but not quick enough to catch her.
Only, she wasn't running at me, or away from him.
She was running toward the cliff.
Not even running, hauling ass!
I stared in horror for about 5 seconds before she reached the end of the safety of the grassland.
She fucking jumped off.
All her white hair and pink flailing appendages just sort of disappeared as she fell below my field of view.
I thought about looking over the edge, but I've seem some of the websites where they post pictures of people who suffered serious accidents resulting in death most times, and I did NOT want to see it again.
Then, I woke up!
I just sort of shook my head last night and went back into a sleep that didn't provide me with any more dreams that I remember.
This morning, concern grows.
What the hell is wrong with me?
I take this perfectly innocent dream and make it into this sick statement.
What is the statement you ask?
I have no idea!
Just that I am a whack job.
I can link why I dreamt of the hike to what I had done during the day, but I do have a hard time drawing parallels to the suicidal old Betty.
Am I an ageist?
Do I subconsciously feel that seniors have no place in society, let alone in scenic areas?
I don't want to be a hater!
I knew I shouldn't have tossed out that dream interpretation book I got for Hexmas a few years ago.
Now how the hell do i know if I'm coming into money or due for a career change?
Still dreaming............






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home