Sunday, June 05, 2005

First Camp of 2005

Mapquest.ca is a twat.
I always use it to try and navigate trips, and I always end up with some back-ass directions that leave me wondering what is wrong with main roads?
This time, I used mapquest to get us to Turkey Point Provincial park.
This time it was funny.
First of all, I tried typing in the street address that I got from calling the park, and Mapquest fought me on it, and told me it was an unrecognized destination.
So, I tried different variables, same address.
'Unrecognized'!
Then I just googled the address, and got the elusive postal code. With JUST the postal code I got front door to the campground directions.
There was the obligatory side streets, regional roads and 1/4 line roads, but eventually we we led straight to the campground.
Maybe I should reconsider the use of the word 'straight'.
Mapquest didn't direct us to Turkey Point Provincial Park! No no no...
Instead, the directions led us to the front drive of a campground called 'The Point', an all mens campground. And it ain't all mens cause the affluent fellas wanted to smoke cohebas without their 'ladies' complaining of the smell.
Karen and I had left about an hour before Deanna and Gary were able to, it was dusk by the time we got to 'The Point'.
We sat in the car at the front entrance and howled thinking about Deanna and Gary arriving there and hour later in full dark asking the campground supervisor where site #50 was.
Fortunately (or unfortunately for the story) my friends got lost, and had to stop for directions. They missed the Gay campground all together.
But, did Mapquest do this on purpose? Do they know of the Gay campground? Is this the tech geeks way of fucking with Canadian campers?
I was ready to give up and camp there anyway. Fuck Turkey Point, it don't get much better than this. Alas, we trekked on, and found our way to the site we had booked in the proper park.
The weekend was dreamy. No rain. No fighting. No television. Just beer, tents and some campfires. For the first trip of the season. It was a goodie.
The park is actually nice, it was quiet, good sites, pretty private, clean washrooms. The whole nine yeards. No complaints at all!
Except the mosquitos. There were a lot of mosquitos. And it's not bad enough that they have to drink yer fucking blood, but they have to leave behind some god damn venom to make you swell up and itch. They really are the living embodiment of the anti-christ. Bastards.
*Scratching*
My tent is a dream too. As is the new air mattress.
Fine holiday fun!
But, no man of my dreams. Maybe i should have played dumb at the entrance to 'The Point'....
"No, Karen, this is it, look, the map led us right here, lets go get a site!"
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home