Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Waiting Room Jitters

I have a new(ish) family doctor, new to me at least.
The office has about 5 different doctors working out of it.
The office itself is located in one of the less affluent areas of Hamilton, Ontario.
For those unfamiliar, Hamilton is also known as 'Steel Town' and 'The Egg Fart Of Ontario'.
I've never liked going to the doctor. Primarily because I'm worried that while I sit in the waiting room with all of the other patients, I am going to pick up some other random illness.
Now, my doctors waiting area is much bigger, probably seats about 45 to 50 people.
Usually, it's hard to find a seat.
Yesterday, while I waited to get diagnosed with strep throat, with my mom who was having her blood pressure tested, I was uncategorically disturbed by the freaks who had booked appointments on the same day.
I sat in a chair that had my back to most of the room. I heard an old man talking. He must have been hard of hearing, because he was speaking about 2 decibels above what he needed to for the entire room to hear him.
But, his voice. Remember when you were a kid and you'd put clickers in the spokes of your bicycle (or an old baseball card for the kids who didn't get clickers for their b-days). Well, picture a clicker rotating in his throat, and add some moisture to it. That is what his voice sounded like. I had to have a look.
I turned around, spotted him immediately in the crowd, and for some unknown reason he was looking at me too. I spun back around and got the shakes.
He had wisps of white hair, his head was pushed forward so it sat above his thighs instead of his chest, but his back was straight. His eyes were wide open, buldging out and surrounded by grey skin.
I fully expected to hear him start moaning "brainnnnns, brains" and take a bite out of the head of the person sitting closest to him.
I picked a spot on the wall and focused. Time didn't move faster at my will.
I looked at my mother who was glancing around the room with a look on her face like she had just witnessed a car accident or a train wreck.
A plump girl with greasy blonde hair walks up to the window to speak with one of the medical office receptionists.
"Well, I just want it back to normal, why can't anyone understand that".
A pause, I couldn't hear the words of the receptionist, who are all slightly barracaded behind glass with small windows through which to converse.
"Well, my sex life is awful, it hurts too much, and my husband is frustrated, I can understand why to, I let him put it in, and then I'm like NO TAKE IT OUT!"
I dry heave.
She finalizes her appointment which from the remainder of the conversation all I can gather is that she has had something put in her vagina that she now wants out of it. Hopefully the good doctor can help.
At this point my mother has found a spot on the floor, she is staring intently, but time moves no quicker.
Grandma, Mom, and the kids come in, talk to the receptionist, and then all settle around us in chairs that had freed up.
My mom looks at me.
"Are you getting ideas for something to write about by sitting here?"
Well, yes, to write, and to try to wash out of my head.
One of the little boys;
"I'm bored"
Grandma; "You're always bored. It doesn't matter what you are doing, you are always bored, and do you wannna know why? It's because you are a boring person"
Little Boy; "I'm not a boring person" and then sulking.
I had to glance at Grandma to find out who the fuck talks to their grand children like that.
She had long dyed black hair, with patches of grey coming through, not strands, but patches where the dye had faded. Her face was a scowl. And her wrinkles looked like pool water after someone had kicked their feet furiously at one end of still water.
She had a red t-shirt on, with a pair of stretched out pink track shorts on the bottom. I did glance at her feet too, but the look of them dawgs was so disturbing it blew all memory of her sandals out of my head.
She started ranting about doctors, how they're all 'stupids and dumb' and she 'knows more then dem doctors alls together'.
You know when you're in public, and you've just had enough?
Like, you want to tell someone to shut the fuck up because they have no idea how stupids and dumb they sound.
I didn't, my mom would have shin kicked me for sure. But, I was getting there.
The rest of them walked slowly, hunched over, coughing, spattering, and swearing about the wait.
It looked like a zombie convention, where the order of the day was discontentedness.
There were others there, who seemed to stick out like sore thumbs.
They were the ones with that lost look on their faces, the ones who covered their own mouths when their neighbours coughed on them. The ones who didn't use the f-word when they were talking to the nurses or filling prescriptions.
Finally our names get called and my mom and I jump out of our seats.
We get into one of the examination rooms and crack jokes about the people we were just sitting with.
The nurse comes in to ask why were there.
My mom tells her about wanting her blood pressure checked as a preventative measure, stating that it seems to go up and down.
The nurse; "Especially when you're sitting in a waiting room like that eh!"
We all laugh.
But, my mom and I got to leave. Not only do the people who work there have to be near that waiting room all day, but they have to interact with these people, day in and day out.
The throat clicking zombie, mysterious vagina girl, stupids dumb grandma.
I hope my doctor is a millionaire, and drives a BMW.
He works for every penny of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home