Wednesday, October 05, 2005

SEXISM, and how I see it

Karen and I hung out tonight, and we got to talking (I don't know how) about the term 'nymphomaniac', and if it referred to a woman solely or if it encompassed men.
Karen's point was that the term referred to a person with a really REALLY high sex drive, and that that was significant for both men and women, and how both could be 'nymphos'.
But, i told her that i always remember books from childhood on up, and every time the word nympho was dropped it seemed to be hand in hand with a poorly drawn illustration of greek women in ripped and flowing robes.
I told Karen that I thought the term was gender specific.
She disagreed.
But then I asked, if there were a term for a male with the same sexual affliction, what would it be?
She had no idea, again pointing out the fact that the term was in fact not gender specific.
I told her when the cigarettes were finished we would 'dictionary.com' it and find out the truth.
here is what we found
adj : (used of women) affected with excessive sexual desire
Other definitions all mirrored the important points.
It is gender specific.
Now, i know I could have used the same trusty internet to find out the appropriate male terminology, but, it got me to thinking.
Why don't I know?
Why do I have such a clear mental picture of what a nympho is?
It is a horny woman!
So what is the man? Is it general knowledge?
For real, who knew the answer to this before looking it up?

1 Comments:

Blogger Another Apartment in Blogville. said...

hmm..i never thought about it. i knew a nymph is like a female sprite or elf or fairy or something...so the origin of the word nymphomaniac is female..but in all honesty - i always used it for guys too! obviously - i used it incorrectly - but fuck it. what is it for a guy? Casanova? Don Juan? Who knows.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home